i really mean it
i am lucky enough to be invited to talk to user groups and conferences several times each year. it's a great honor and i enjoy it very much. this weekend i delivered a talk about hypermedia APIs at Grand Rapids Day of .NET. i had a great time and got some very good feedback on my talk.
i also had more than one conversation w/ fellow attendees after my talk that went something like this:
- "I really enjoyed your talk. Turns out we [are|will be] doing something very similar."
- "Thanks. I'd be very interested to hear more about your project in the future; what worked, what did not, any advice you'd give to others, etc."
- "No problem. Can you give me a business card?"
- "Sure, here's my card; and my twitter account and email, too."
- "No problem, I'll keep in touch."
and you know, what? i hardly ever hear from them again.
and that's a bummer
see, when i tell you i'd like to hear from you, i really mean it.
so, the next time you take my business card and tell me you'll get back to me - do it!
BTW - those who talked to me yesterday after my presentation, this means you, too.